Taylor Swift is pretty much my most favorite person in the history of ever. I’ll admit to obsessively stalking her social media, but who doesn’t? She is an amazing human being. Several years ago, she posted this picture below of some cookies she made but these were no ordinary cookies. They were Chai sugar cookies with egg nog icing!! (AKA Christmas in September, as she put it).
They looked absolutely amazing and mouth-watering! It wasn’t until recently that one of my friends pointed out to me that Taylor, herself, had actually posted the recipe in a comment to a fan who was requesting it on Tumblr.
Here is what Tay wrote:
You could say that I was more than excited that I could eat the exact cookies that Taylor ate.
So let me break it down for you. Here is the homemade recipe from Joy the Baker that she used.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, such as canola or sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus additional for sugaring tops
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- one packet of chai tea
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or foil, or grease generously with butter or cooking spray.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter in a large bowl on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable oil. It may not fully incorporate with the butter, but that’s ok. Add the granulated sugar, powdered sugar, egg and vanilla, beating on medium speed until each ingredient is completely incorporated. Here is where Taylor added the chai element! Cut open one packet of chai tea and empty crushed tea leaves into the batter. Mix well.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt all at once using a wooden spoon or the mixer set on low. The dough will be soft.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour or freeze for 15 minutes just so it’s easier to handle.
- For large cookies, dollop 2 Tablespoons of cookie dough onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. For smaller cookies use 1 Tablespoon for each cookie. Press the dough evenly with your fingers or palm to 1/4-inch thickness. Generously sprinkle sugar on top of the cookie dough.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes for larger cookies or 8 to 10 minutes for smaller cookies. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before transferring to racks to cool completely. The cookies will keep for up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
Tay’s Cinnamon Egg Nog Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 TAYblespoons of milk or eggnog
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Apply to cookies.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
**Side note: The more milk/egg nog you add the more the icing becomes a glaze so its up to you if you want to glaze your cookies or ice them. Both are equally fabulous. Like Taylor said, just live your life!**
Voila! Taylor’s Chai Sugar Cookies with Egg Nog Icing!